Would you like to speak Japanese? Would you like to try Rakugo (Japanese Sit-Down Comedy) ? Do you like Japan? Do you like Comedy? Are you a Japanese language teacher who wants to teach their students in a fun way?
Showko, a 5 star award winning international comedian, Australia’s Got Talent Finalist and the only professionally trained Rakugo performer outside of Japan, is giving you an opportunity to learn how to Speak Japanese through Rakugo Comedy with a 4-part online workshop.
This is a great place to start learning faster through the coordination of language and physical movement with visual, auditory and kinaesthetic practices. This will
be a fun and entertaining environment with plenty of interaction and laughter as Showko teaches traditional Rakugo stories and techniques combined with Japanese language.
By joining the live classes you can ask direct questions and practice your Japanese with Rakugo movements and techniques for direct feedback.
miss the live class don’t worry as everyone will have acess to the recorded sessions so you can practice as much as you like.
This course is for:
- Those who want to learn Japanese.
- Japanese language teachers who want to teach their students using Rakugo in a fun way.
- Those who have heard of Rakugo and want to learn.
- Those who want to learn a new form of Storytelling
- Those who want to experience a different culture and open their mind.
- Those who love Japan.
- Those who love Comedy.
What you can get from this workshop:
can perform Rakugo stories
- You can learn techniques of Rakugo
- Learn and speak proper Japanese
- Learn how to teach Japanese through Rakugo
What this Speak Japanese with Rakugo Workshop will cover:
- Each workshop: 60 mins in English with Japanese language teaching for all levels.
- Scripts in both English and Japanese
- Links to Rakugo performance by Showko to study
- Links to recorded classes practice.
Dates / Time:
Note: Melbourne time (AEST)
To take this full course you pay only AUD$98. (Normally AUD$320)
A Sensu (folding fan) and a Tenugui or a handkerchief. You can purchase a Rakugo Sensu(fan) and Tenugui (handkerchief) on my website if you like.
What this Japanese Sit-Down Comedy Workshop (Speak Japanese with Rakugo) will cover:
(Each workshop: 60 mins in English with Japanese language teaching for all levels.)
Rakugo Workshop 1
- History of Rakugo
- Rakugo rules, actions and music.
- Rakugo theatres and backstage
- Rakugo short stories using basic Japanese
Rakugo Workshop 2 (with scripts)
- Rakugo “ZOO” which is the most popular story for beginners. (First half of the story)
- Rakugo actions with Rakugo music.
- Speak Japanese with Rakugo short stories for beginners. (Some Rakugo words are too difficult so Showko changes them for Japanese learners. And they are still funny!)
Rakugo Workshop 3 (with scripts)
- Rakugo “ZOO” (Second half of the story)
- Speak Japanese with Rakugo short stories for intermediate. (Some Rakugo words are too difficult so Showko changes them for Japanese learners. And they are still funny!)
- Rakugo actions with Rakugo music.
Rakugo Workshop 4 (with scripts)
- Rakugo “Momotaro” (Learn the full story in both Japanese and English)
- New forms of Rakugo such as Puppet Rakugo and Ventriloquist - Rakugo
- Make your own short Rakugo stories.
“I really enjoyed the workshop, I didn't know much about Rakugo before but I learnt a lot.”
“It was a great workshop. I was able to learn a lot about Rakugo and of course it was fun. I would love to learn more!”
“It’s so much fun to speak Japanese with Rakugo actions! Very entertaining!”
“As a Japanese teacher I found this very useful. I will use Rakugo to assist in teaching Japanese to my students.”
“Very informative. Great to have both theory and practical. The class setting allowed for more questions, hands-on practice and detailed information.”
“Wonderful. Excellent information, history and demonstration. I learnt a lot - especially participating in the short story performances.”
“By learning from a totally different artform and culture it has opened my mind to see my performance from a different perspective. I highly recommend it.”
This course is recommended for Teachers, Performers, Actors or anyone who is interested in experiencing something different.
(Age range 15+)
What is Rakugo?
RAKUGO ~Japanese Sit Down Comedy~
Rakugo is a form of entertainment best described as Japanese sit-down comedy or comic story telling. During a show the Rakugo performer sits on a small pillow dressed in a kimono and acts out the whole story by themselves equipped with only a fan (Sensu) and hand towel (Tenugui) to help convey ideas.
A Rakugo story is told through the conversations between characters, therefore, the performer must be able play the role of each distinct character by changing personality, facial expression, mannerisms, speech, etc.. In most cases the characters have strong stereotypical personalities and characteristics so that as the performer switches from one character to another the audience readily detects the change.
To be a professional Rakugo performer you have to ask a Rakugo master to become their protégé and only a person who can complete training for 3 years can be accepted as a Professional Rakugo performer.
Showko trained as a Rakugo performer under Master Kakushow in London receiving the 400 year old traditional name Showko Showfukutei upon completion. She is one of 1500 Rakugo performers, only a handful of women and the only one living overseas.
Showko is a member of the Kamigata Rakugo Association and regularly goes back to Japan to perform at the Hanjyo-tei Rakugo Theatre in Osaka where only professional Rakugo performers can perform. Showko’s style of Rakugo is very animated with lots of actions and facial expressions so that any age groups seeing Rakugo for the first time can understand and enjoy Rakugo humour.
Showko performs Traditional Rakugo, personal life story Rakugo and Ventriloquist Rakugo.
The Mill - Adelaide Fringe Masterclass
Rakugo Masterclass held at the Mill during the Adelaide Fringe where Showko was chosen over many applicants to run this unique workshop.
Osaka Temma Tenjin Hanjyo-Tei Rakugo Theatre
(Exterior view above. Interior view below
Why Speak Japanese? Event
Monash University, Melbourne
Puppet Rakugo is an award winning form of Rakugo developed by Showko's master, Kakushow. Only the three members within Kakushow Showfukutei's Rakugo family are allowed to use this style. Puppet Rakugo is suitable for all ages.
Showko's own unique version of Puppet Rakugo is called Ventriloquist Rakugo as it incorporates her specialist ventriloquist skills.